FOODS FOR YOUR BRAIN
By: Erin a.k.a. foodprepprincess
We’ve all had days when we don’t feel like we’re “on our game”. And as we age, both our bodies and our brains grow old. By making smart food choices, we can preserve our precious gray matter and improve our brain function too. Here are some brainy choices for keeping our noggins in tip-top shape.
1. Blueberries have been shown to shield the brain from stress, dementia, and Alzheimer’s disease. Research has also shown that diets rich in blueberries significantly improved both our learning capacity and motor skills.
2. Avocados are a great source, too. They contribute to healthy blood flow and decrease blood pressure. They have also been proven to lessen the chances of developing hypertension, which can lead to a stroke.
3. Salmon and other deep-water fish, are a wise, choice. They are abundant in omega-3 essential fatty acids, which optimize healthy brain function.
4. Nuts & Seeds are good sources of vitamin E, an important vitamin needed by your brain to stave off declining cognitive functions. Cashews, peanuts, walnuts, sunflower and sesame seeds and almonds are all great choices.
5. Whole Grains can reduce the risk of cardiac disease. Your best sources are found in breads, brown rice, and oatmeal.
6. Tea, particularly freshly brewed tea also has potent antioxidants, especially the class known as catechins, which also promotes healthy blood flow. Since black teas do contain caffeine it’s important to use it sensibly.
7. Dark Chocolate has mighty antioxidant properties and it contains several natural stimulants, which enhance focus and concentration. Dark chocolate also encourages the production of endorphins, which helps to improve your mood. Again, moderation is the key.
The power of good nutrition is undeniable! Incorporate these foods regularly to improve oxygen and nutrient delivery through the bloodstream. And feel like your “on your game” again.